Thursday, June 5, 2008

Awkward turtle

So, see how there's a big market for awkward anecdotes, I've decided to catalog my awkward moments on this blog.

First up, the "pre-mature goodbye." Like most things with preceded by "pre-mature," it can be pretty embarrassing when you get on the subway with one of your co-workers, do your best to stretch out the conversation until you finally see their stop. Having successfully survived what could have been an awkward moment, you blurt out a victorious "see you tomorrow!" only to wait for the subway to come to a slow, slow grinding halt. And then the solid 10 seconds as you wait for the doors to eventually slide open. There's no time to start a new conversation, but you just terminated that lame-ass explanation of what you were planning to do this weekend. So with each squeek of those subway brakes, you can feel your soul become shallower than that shallow dialog you just forced.

And what about the "What's up/How are you" mix-up? You know, when someone asks what's up, and you tell them "alright?" For example, when time I walked past a girl who I was in a couple of classroom discussions with. Nothing big, but enough that we were socially obligated to acknowledge the other actually existed when we ran into each other in the halls. I like to get around this with the old-fashioned head nod, but my go-to move was destroyed when she actually asked me "Hey, whats up?" I began to respond "pretty good," but thankfully I stopped myself short. So it goes something like this:

Girl: Hey, what's up?
Me: Pretty... (blank stare)


At that point I cut my losses, tucked my head down, stuffed a cafeteria bagel down my mouth and got the hell out of there.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

i think your actions sometimes merit the super awkward turtle. you know, the upside-down one that looks really, really awkward?